December 21, 2018
How to Breathe (using diaphragmatic breathing)
Here’s the basic procedure for diaphragmatic breathing:
- Sit in a comfortable position or lie flat on the floor, your bed, or another comfortable, flat surface.
- Relax your shoulders.
- Put a hand on your chest and a hand on your stomach.
- Inhale through the nose with a small, controlled breaths (don’t move nose hairs!)
- Expand diaphragm (remember, you want oxygen getting to the further lower parts of your lungs, to the alveoli)
- Stay out of the traps/neck. If you feel like you’re raising your shoulders or tightening your neck, lightly drop your shoulders and focus attention on breathing through lower ribs and diaphragm.
- Exhale through the mouth
- Soften through sternum to get a full exhale
Don’t overthink this! Don’t worry about counting the seconds you inhale/exhale. Breathe comfortably.