November 4, 2017
Coconut Chia Oatmeal
If you, like many, have been told you need to consume more essential fatty acids, then here’s a recipe to up your intake, with a slight modification from the original, which is available at Spark People.
- 1/2 cup rolled oats (NOT instant)
- 1 1/4 cups of water
- 1/4 cup of fat free half and half (replace with nut or seed milk)
- 3 tbsp egg whites
- 1 tbsp almond butter (I tend to choose an alternative to almonds, considering we are consuming SO many almond products these days…try cashew or hazelnut instead)
- 2 tbsp Chia, flax seed, coconut, cocoa (cocoa optional)
- Lightly toast oats in the bottom of your cooking pot. After a few minutes (they start to smell nutty) add water and half and half. (In this case, instead of half and half, add your nut or seed milk, but be careful not to boil as these nut/seed milks are delicate.
- Bring mixture to just under boiling point, stirring frequently.
- When almost all liquid has been absorbed, stir in egg whites, being sure to KEEP STIRRING to avoid egg white clumps.
- When egg whites have been incorporated, stir in the chia/flax seed mixture to fully combine.
- Remove from heat and stir in the almond butter.
- The chia seeds will continue to absorb liquid – as this sits, it become a bit more gelatinous so some people may prefer this served immediately.
- Top with pumpkin seeds, almonds or other nuts if you wish.
Serving Size: makes 1 big (FILLING) bowl