January 4, 2018
If you want to avoid the often expensive avocado toast trend going on right now, and make it at home, try this recipe from Beth at Pass the Plants – she’s right, it could be the best avocado toast ever!
- 4 slices thick whole grain bread (or gluten-free equivalent). NP note: I tend to encourage people to try spelt, rye, kamut, chia breads since most are consuming too much whole wheat.
- 1 large ripe avocado
- 1/3 cup frozen shelled edamame
- 1 lime
- 1 scallion (sliced thinly)
- 1/2 cup raw fresh corn kernels (1 ear)
- 1/2 cup tomato (diced)
- 1/2 cup cilantro (chopped)
- 1/4 cup hemp seeds (optional)
- salt to taste
- crushed red pepper flakes (to taste)
- olive oil (for drizzling)
- Toast the bread.
- Soak the edamame in warm water in a small bowl.
- Cut the corn off the cob and measure out 1/2 cup (save remaining corn for another use).
- Mash the edamame in a small bowl and then mash in the avocado.
- Add the sliced scallions and corn to the avocado/edamame mixture.
- Add the juice from half of the lime along with a sprinkle of salt, mix, and taste. Add more lime juice or salt as needed.
- When the toast is done, rub a cut garlic clove over the surface of each piece of toast.
- Spread the avocado mixture evenly onto each piece of toast.
- Top each slice with a drizzle of olive oil, crushed red pepper flakes, hemp seeds, tomato, and cilantro. You can also add a sprinkle of salt and lime juice if you like.